Thursday, December 17, 2009

Local Life - Bonnie Scotland


Now what has Bonnie Scotland got to do with the Nashville area?
If you are a fan of thoroughbred racing you will recognize the name. Originally from England he was 19 years old when he eventually settled at Belle Meade Plantation (founded 1807) which is about 10 minutes from my house. Some of his descendants include Seabiscuit, Seattle Slew, Affirmed and Secretariat. All the winners of the Kentucky Derby between 1972 and 1996 are descended from him.
Another great horse from Belle Meade was Iriqois who was the first American Horse to win the English Derby.
There's another Bonnie Scotland as well. I'm not sure if I should encourage this part since I am Mormon and don't drink. However Belle Meade has opened a winery and one of the wines is called "Bonnie Scotland". I hear it's quite good :) http://www.bellemeadeplantation.com/

No comments: