Friday, September 11, 2009

Project update - Grandma's Best ......... blocks

Here's one of the 91/2" blocks from
"Grandma's Best Full Size Quilt Blocks" that I have already done - in two different color ways.
The block is called "Butterfly in Flight" and can be found in the 1920-1950 section.
I have a stack of the blue butterflies sewn down to the background block just waiting to have the embroidery finished. There is enough fabric left to do the borders. The iris butterfly is a one off for a gift to a family member.
I think it's fun to play around with different fabrics to see how they can change the look of a design. The iris fabric definitely gives a much softer, more feminine feel. The blue gives a more 30's style look.
I don't like how the antennae turned out so I may make some of the others curly and more gentle looking.
I think it would be fun to take the same pattern and do a sideways in flight look by narrowing the body down a bit, using one wing and adding legs as if it is landing on a flower.

No comments: